Season Record: 8-5
Wednesday, March 6 – W, at UNC Asheville, 16-4 – Asheville, N.C.
Saturday, March 9 – W, vs. Michigan State, 6-4 (10
Sunday, March 10 – W, vs. Ohio State, 8-5 – Greenville, S.C.
Wednesday, March 13 – vs. Notre Dame – 4 pm, Cullowhee
Friday, March 15 – vs. Elon – 4 pm, Cullowhee
Saturday, March 16 – vs. Elon – 2 pm, Cullowhee
Sunday, March 17 – vs. Elon – 1 pm, Cullowhee
Note: Be sure to keep track of any weather-related schedule changes online at CatamountSports.com or through WCU Athletics’ social media outlets on Facebook (fb.com/catamountsports) and Twitter (@Catamounts, @WCUCatamountBSB).
Catamount Baseball Diamond Notes:
- Western Carolina posted a 3-0 week losing one game to rain at the First Pitch Invitational at Fluor Field in Greenville, S.C. … WCU powered past mountain-rival UNC Asheville, 16-4, out-hitting the Bulldogs 21-to-7 to halt both a three-game seasonal slide and a five-game drought in the all-time series … the Catamounts rallied past Michigan State, 6-4, in 10 innings a Fluor Field on Saturday before using a five-run seventh inning to upend Ohio State, 8-5;
- Including winning four of its six games at last spring’s Southern Conference Baseball Championship, WCU has now won six of its last eight games played at Fluor Field at the West End in Greenville, S.C., site of its most recent conference championship title;
- WCU has received back-to-back Southern Conference Players of the Week as sophomore OF Immanuel Wilder followed sophomore transfer OF Daylan Nanny … it is the first time since the 2017 season that two Catamounts received player of the week honors in the same season – and the first time since 2016 that WCU had consecutive week honorees;
- The Catamount offense exploded last week, batting .393 collectively as a team with 46 hits including 14 for extra bases – 10 doubles, a triple, and three home runs … WCU outhit its opposition 46-to-25 and outscored its three opponents, 30-to-13 … Five individuals batted .462-or-higher on the week, led by Jalen Jones at .583 (7-of-12) and Immanuel Wilder (.556, 5-for-9) … Collectively, WCU ha a .475 on-base percentage;
- Luke Robinson blasted WCU’s second grand slam home run of the season in the road win over mountain-rival UNC Asheville as a part of a career-best six RBI performance … Daylan Nanny hit a grand slam homer on opening weekend against Oakland;
- On the year, 10 of WCU’s 16 home runs – the second-most by a team in the SoCon behind Mercer (21) – have been multi-run homers including the two grand slams … WCU’s 16 home runs have been spread between five different players including Robinson (5), Bigbie (4), Koehler & Nany (3) and Andrew Bullock;
- Celebrating his birthday on the diamond at UNC Asheville, redshirt senior Matthew Koehler had a day last Wednesday, collecting a career-best four hits including a double in a 4-for-5 outing … He added a walk and a stolen base, scoring a career-high five runs … Koehler has hits in four straight games including a pair of multi-hit outings;
- WCU entered the week batting a SoCon-best .317 as a team, 12th-highest average in the NCAA, while the Catamounts were ranked 17th nationally in scoring as a team, averaging a SoCon-best 8.5 runs per game;
- Western Carolina turned 10 double plays last week giving the Catamounts 20 on the season … Entering this week, WCU’s 20 double plays ranked tied for second nationally while the 1.54 double plays per game average (20 in 13
- Making the move to the bullpen last week, redshirt sophomore RHP Chase Walter secured two decisions in his two appearances in relief on the week, scoring the win out of the bullpen in Saturday’s extra-inning win over Michigan State and collecting his first collegiate save in Sunday’s finale against Ohio State … Struck out four over 3.2 collective innings over his two appearances, scattering five hits and a walk while keeping both the Spartans and Buckeyes scoreless.
We’re Going Streaking!
-Western Carolina outfielders Matthew Koehler and Daylan Nanny have both reached base safely in a team-best, nine-straight games entering the week … the nine-game streaks are the longest by any player this season, matched by a nine-game stretch for Luke Robinson which ended earlier this season;
- Will Prater carries the team’s longest active hitting streak into the week at five-straight games including four-consecutive multiple-hit performances … Just behind him are Koehler and classmate Justice Bigbie, both with hits in four consecutive games.
This Week in Catamount Baseball:
- Western Carolina opens a five-game homestand on Wednesday, hosting ACC-foe Notre Dame at Childress Field / Hennon Stadium before welcoming in former SoCon-foe, Elon, for a three-game weekend set;
- Western Carolina and Notre Dame (6-8) meet for the first time ever on the baseball diamond … In fact, Wednesday’s meeting between the Catamounts and the Irish marks the first time that WCU and Notre Dame have squared-off in a traditional team intercollegiate sport;
- Notre Dame was picked to finish sixth in the seven-team ACC Atlantic Division, just behind Wake Forest – a team the Irish just two 2-of-3 from in their conference-opening weekend series … the Irish have won four of their last seven since the calendar flipped to March;
Wednesday’s Pitching Match-Up:
Notre Dame – Jr. RHP Zack Martin (0-0, 6.23 ERA) vs. WCU – Jr. LHP Ty McCulloch (1-1, 1.86 ERA)
- For the weekend series, WCU and Elon (9-6) have met 45 times previously on the diamond with the Catamounts trailing, 21-24 … WCU won the last two series meetings, winning the final series with the Phoenix as conference opponents back in 2014 … Elon won the last two meetings in Cullowhee in late March of the 2014 season;
- The preseason favorite to win the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) baseball championship in 2019, Elon returns five starters and several of its top pitchers from a squad that went 36-23 and posted a runner-up finish in the CAA a year ago … WCU will have to contend with a pair of preseason All-America selections on the mound in junior right-handers Kyle Brnovich and George Kirby.