Score: UNC Asheville, 74, Western Carolina 49
Records: Western Carolina 1-4, UNC Asheville 1-2
Location: Kimmel Arena, Asheville, N.C.
ASHEVILLE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s basketball fell to in-state rival UNC Asheville 74-49 Saturday in Kimmel Arena.
The Bulldogs drained 11 three-pointers in the game to build a lead the Catamounts could not overcome. UNCA rode the play of senior guard Jessica Wall who scored a game-leading 24 points in the contest – almost a third of the Bulldogs total points.
Building a 16-8 lead after the first period, UNCA outscored the Catamounts in every period to maintain the lead. WCU combined for 25 points in the third and fourth period.
- Freshman guard Jewel Smalls ripped down a career-best seven rebounds in the game. She also led the team with nine points.
- Rookie Ashley Foster hit a career-best two three-pointers in the game.
- Wall (24) and teammate Sonora Dengokl (16) combined to score 40 of UNC Asheville’s 74 points in the game.
Inside the Box Score
- UNC Asheville used long range to take control of the game draining 11 three-pointers in the game. The Bulldogs shot 45.8 percent from behind the three-point arc.
- Each team ripped down 41 rebounds in the game.
- Western Carolina had 21 turnovers in the game leading to 23 Bulldog points. In contrast, UNCA had only nine turnovers in the contest and the Catamounts could not convert any into points.
- UNCA went to the free throw line 19 times and converted 11. WCU earned 12 trips and hit just five.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina continues to search for its first road win of the season.
- It was the first time in the young season Western Carolina did not have a player score in double figures.
- The Bulldogs tied for the most three-pointers allowed by the Catamounts this season with 11 tying with Georgia Tech who also posted 11 against WCU.
Western Carolina heads to Tennessee Tech Monday to take on the Golden Eagles. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. Eastern time and can be seen on ESPN+.
For the latest information on Catamount women's basketball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.