Score: Western Carolina 3, The Citadel 0
Records: Western Carolina 7-7-2, 4-4 SoCon, The Citadel 7-9, 1-7 SoCon
Location: WIL Field, Charleston, S.C.
CHARLESTON, S.C. – Western Carolina women’s soccer evened its overall and Southern Conference record with a key road victory over The Citadel defeating the Bulldogs 3-0 Friday at WIL Field. WCU improves to 7-7-2 overall and 4-4 in conference play with the victory.
Western Carolina scored two goals in the first 15 minutes of play and was able to play strong defense the remainder of the game to keep the pesky Bulldogs out of the net.
- Senior Megan McCallister scored a goal and added an assist in the game. It was her first goal and assist of the season.
- Senior Shannon Burns scored the first goal of her career netting the second of the game for the Catamounts.
- Senior Eynde Frazier scored the first goal of the game on just one shot in the match.
- Jacquelyn Gnassi, also a senior, notched eight saves in the game in goal.
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina got on the board just under 10 minutes into the game when McCallister played the ball over to Frazier while being tackled and Frazier finished for the go-ahead goal, sending the ball left to right across the face of the goal.
- Just under five minutes later, at 14:15, Western Carolina was awarded a penalty kick and the task was awarded to Burns who found the back of the net to put WCU up 2-0.
- With less than two minutes left to play, 88:48, McCallister followed her own shot that was deflected among some defenders, took a few dribbles closer and finished for her first goal of the season.
- After controlling the ball for the first half Western Carolina dropped back to a more defensive position enjoying a 2-0 lead. The Citadel opened the second half by being more aggressive and led the Catamounts 12-2 in shots in the second period at one point.
- Goalkeeper Gnassi improved to 5-3-1 on the season.
- The Citadel had 17 shots to Western Carolina’s 13. Thirteen of the Bulldogs shots came in the second half.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina earned its first road victory of the season with the 3-0 win over The Citadel.
- The Catamounts three goals in the game tied for the second most of the season.
- WCU’s shutout was the fifth of the season for the Catamounts and the first on the road.
- All three goals in the game were scored by Catamount seniors.
- The four wins in conference play are the fourth straight year WCU has had four conference wins.
- Gnassi recorded her fourth shutout of the season in goal for the Catamounts.
- With her second goal of the season, Frazier ties her career high for goals in a season.
- The goal by Burns was the first of her career and the first penalty kick of her career.
- The penalty shot in the game was the first of the season for the Catamounts.
Western Carolina closes out the regular season at Mercer Sunday. The match is set for 2 p.m.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.