Score: Western Carolina 0, Navy 0
Records: Western Carolina 3-1-2, Navy 2-1-3
Location: Catamount Athletic Complex
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s soccer’s match with Navy was suspended with 17:55 left in the contest and ended deadlocked 0-0 Sunday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
Resumption of the game was attempted four times but lightning strikes in the area kept forcing the game to be halted. It was decided after the last strike was recorded after 3:30 p.m. that the game was suspended after it eclipsed the three-hour mark of the game.
- Junior Julia Winter had two shots in the game for the Catamounts with one on goal.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Natalia Icen got the start and went 72:09 minutes without allowing a goal picking up four saves in the game.
Inside the Box Score
- In the first 10 minutes of the game, WCU had a quality look at the goal when Emily Zipay attempted a header shot but it just went wide of the goal.
- Icen fended off a pair of quality looks by Navy to keep the Midshipmen off the scoreboard.
- The shots were even between the two teams with each taking eight. Six of the Catamounts’ shots were in the first half.
- Icen moves to 1-1-1 on the season.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina’s tie with Navy is the second tie of the season.
- For the second straight game, Western Carolina’s contest was hampered by lightning delays. WCU did get to play the full allotted time with Campbell on Friday.
- The shutout of the Midshipmen is the third-straight for Western Carolina and fourth of the season.
- In the last 460.25 minutes of play, the WCU defense along with goalies Jacquelyn Gnassi and Icen have combined to allow just one goal.
- Western Carolina remains undefeated at home.
Western Carolina hits the road for a three-game road swing beginning Sept. 7 traveling to UT Martin for an 8 p.m. contest. WCU will also travel to Middle Tennessee and South Florida in the three-game road trip.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.