Score: Western Carolina 1, Belmont 0
Records: Western Carolina 2-1-1, Belmont 0-3
Location: Catamount Athletic Complex
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Redshirt junior Cami Couch scored the lone goal in the game to help pace Western Carolina women’s soccer to a 1-0 win over Belmont Sunday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
Just before the close of the first half, Western Carolina scored a long-range goal which would turn out to be the only goal of the game.
- Couch scored the first goal of her Catamount career.
- Western Carolina goalkeeper Natalia Icen earned her second start of the season and first win over the year improving to 1-1 on the season.
- Junior Kate Swartwout notched her first assist on the year.
Inside the Box Score
- At the 42nd minute, redshirt junior Cami Couch was on the receiving end of a pass from Swartwout at the top of the box about 20 yards out. After receiving the pass, Couch booted it into the top right side of the goal for the score.
- Just prior to Couch’s goal, Belmont registered its best scoring chance of the game when a Bruin shot clipped the top of the crossbar and pinged to the left side of the goal.
- It was a flip-flop of halves as Western Carolina had six shots in the first half to Belmont’s two while in the second half it was the Bruins turn to register six shots to the Catamounts two.
- Belmont split goalie duties as Lily Herman played the first half, giving up a goal, and Abby Hunt played the second half.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina is 2-0-1 over the last three games.
- The Catamounts have given up just one goal over the last 341 minutes notching two shutouts in that span.
- Two of Western Carolina’s three goals this season have been scored by redshirt juniors in Couch and Mackenzie Wright.
- The win over Belmont was the first for the Catamounts as the Bruins now lead 2-1.
Western Carolina hosts Campbell at 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 31 and will also celebrate 20 years of Western Carolina women’s soccer honoring the three championship teams, 2001, 2005, 2008, and the 21-member 20th season team.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.