Score: Kennesaw State 3, Western Carolina 0
Records: Western Carolina 0-1, Kennesaw State 1-0
Location: Fifth Third Bank Stadium, Kennesaw, Ga.
KENNESAW, GA. – Kennesaw State women’s soccer used three first-half goals to hand Western Carolina a season-opening loss Friday at Fifth Third Bank Stadium.
Three goals by Kennesaw State in the 17 minutes of the first half proved all the firepower the Owls needed in the match.
- Kennesaw State’s Lauren Wilson scored the first goal of the game and also picked up an assist.
- Senior Megan McCallister led the team with two shots.
Inside the Box Score
- Kennesaw State broke open a scoreless tie scoring in the 22nd minute off a header.
- Seven minutes later, at the 29th minute, the Owls pushed the score to 2-0.
- The Owls capped off their three-goal first half with the final goal of the night at the 38th minute.
- Catamount sophomore goalkeeper Natalia Icen played the full 90 minutes and takes the loss.
News & Notes
- Icen’s start and 90-minute in goal performance was her first appearance between the pipes since she was sidelined with an injury near the end of the 2017 season.
- Western Carolina is now 10-10 in season openers in the program’s history.
- With Kennesaw State’s victory, the two schools have each won a match in the school's pair of meetings.
Western Carolina hosts UNC Asheville at noon on Sunday in the Catamounts home opener. There will be free ice cream to those in attendance courtesy of Aramark.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.