Western Carolina 45, Chattanooga 7
Chattanooga, Tenn. -- Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017
With the win ...
- The Catamounts extended their seasonal win streak to four-straight games, matching its longest in-season win streak since also winning four-consecutive in 2015;
- WCU is off to its best start to a season through its first five games (4-1) since 1974 ... WCU opened the 1974 season with a loss before winning nine-straight en route to a NCAA Division II playoff berth, finishing the year (9-2 finish);
- Western Carolina snapped its eight-game winless drought against Chattanooga, scoring the first win over the Mocs under head coach Mark Speir ... the win was WCU's first over UTC since 2008 and its first victory in Chattanooga since 2005;
- WCU opened Southern Conference play at 2-0 for the first-time since 2014 when the team won its first four league games, finishing the year at 5-2;
- WCU has won back-to-back road games for the first time since the 2010 season (W at Gardner-Webb and The Citadel) ... This season, WCU's consecutive road victories have come at Gardner-Webb and Chattanooga.
- Tailback Corey Holloway rushed for 105 yards, eclipsing the century mark for the second time in his career -- both coming this season ... Holloway scored a pair of one-yard touchdown runs giving him five rushing scores on the year ... It was Holloway's second, two-TD game, also scoring twice as a freshman in 2015 against Samford;
- Western Carolina's defense recorded seven sacks in Saturday's win, matching its seasonal total entering the game ... WCU only had nine sacks the entire 2016 season ... All told, the Catamounts amassed 63 yards in losses stemming directly from the sacks with eight total tackles for loss going for 65 combined yards;
- For a second-straight week, WCU limited an opponent to less than 100-yards on the ground ... Samford finished with 91 yards rushing last week while Chattanooga was held to just 49 yards rushing ... the 49 yards are the fewest rushing yards allowed by WCU since Tusculm was limited to 42 yards on the ground back in 2010 -- the first of three-straight games the Catamounts held opponents under 100 total rushing yards;
- Defensively, WCU forced three turnovers on Saturday, two coming on defense and the third on a special teams play ... the Catamounts cashed those takeaways into 21 points, twice recovering forced fumbles stemming from sacks for touchdowns and the third coming on a fake punt fumble that was recovered at the one-yard line;
- Back-up quarterback Ray Smith finished a perfect 3-for-3 passing for a career-high 45 yards through the air including his first collegiate passing touchdown -- a 26-yard strike to Jordan Mathis who tallied his first receptions of the season and his first score -- the second of his WCU career ... Mathis finished one catch off his career-high of six which he's accomplished twice, both in 2016 (6-for-117 vs. Gardner-Webb, 6-for-58 at ETSU);
- WCU's offense was held to a season-low 392 yards of total offense -- 222 on the ground and a season-low 170 through the air -- but managed four touchdowns including Holloway's two on the ground, Smith's pass to Mathis, and Tyrie Adams connecting with Steffon Hill for a 38-yard, third quarter score;
- Tyrie Adams was limited to just eight completions at Chattanooga, though he did average over 15 yards per pass completion in finishing with 125 yards through the air ... His eight completions were one off his career-low of seven that came at South Carolina last year;
- Redshirt freshman tailback Donnavan Spencer rushed for a career-high 36 yards on a career-best 10 rushes ... Senior James Foushee recorded his first career rushes, finished with three rushes for 10 yards and a pass reception for four out of the backfield;
- WCU played without two key offensive weapons on Saturday -- starting tailback Detrez Newsome and wide receiver Connell Young, both out with injury -- with veteran offensive lineman #68 Tanner Poindexter also sidelined ... the Catamounts played with redshirt senior TE #82 Tyler Sexton for the first time this year after serving a four-game NCAA suspension -- he finished with two catches for 27 yards.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday evening's game were: senior RB #21 Detrez Newsome, senior DB #35 Keion Crossen, and redshirt senior LB #58 Daniel Riddle ... redshirt senior OL #68 Tanner Poindexter and junior P #83 Ian Berryman also went out for the coin toss as captains ... Chattanooga won the coin toss and deferred to the second half ... WCU received the kick off to open the game;