Western Carolina 42, Gardner-Webb 27
Boiling Springs, N.C. -- Saturday, Sept. 16, 2017
With the win ...
- The Catamounts extended their current series win streak against Gardner-Webb to three-straight including back-to-back wins on the road in the series;
- It halts a seven-game winless skid for the Catamounts in road games that included a 0-6 mark away from Cullowhee in 2016. WCU’s last win away from Cullowhee came in the 2015 season finale at VMI (24-20 on Nov. 21);
- Gives WCu back-to-back season victories for the first time since winning four-straight in the middle of the 2015 season.
- Senior running back Detrez Newsome once again led the Catamounts on the ground, finishing with 146 rushing yards on 16 carries including a momentum-swinging long rush of 84 yards for a touchdown late in the first half … He now has 33 career rushing TDs, in third place just two behind second-place Darrell Lipford (35, 1974-77) and four shy of the matching the school record held by Otis McIntosh (37, 1968-71);
- Newsome eclipsed the 3,000 career rushing yard mark on Saturday, moving into third-place all-time with 3,089 … He passed former Catamount Otis McIntosh (3,006 from 1968-71) … Newsome is just the fourth, 1,000-yard rusher in WCU history and is exactly 1,000 yards shy of all-time leading rusher Darrell Lipford (4,089 from 1974-77);
- Newsome extended his streak to 17-straight games with 100 or more all-purpose yards ... He finished with 217 total yards with 146 from rushing, two from receiving and 69 on kickoff returns;
- Quarterback Tyrie Adams spread the ball around Saturday night as he targeted three receivers who had four-or-more catches and all three finished with a touchdown. The sophomore completed 14 passes on 23 attempts with a total of 224 yards through the air with three touchdowns and an interception;
- Redshirt senior wide receiver Terryon Robinson led the Catamounts with 102 receiving yards … It marked his second-straight 100-yard receiving performance and just the sixth of his outstanding career … the redshirt senior is the fifth ranked active receiver in the FCS in terms of career yards with 2,260 ... He is now just 11 yards shy of the career top-10 in WCU school history;
- Robinson’s five receptions five the senior 185 in his WCU career, moving him into fourth-place in program history … Robinson by-passed former Catamount receiving great Michael Banks (183, 1999-2002) … Robinson is now just 12 career receptions shy of all-time program leader, Gerald Harp (197, 1977-80);
- Redshirt senior receiver Steffon Hill came up 10 yards short of recording his fourth career 100-yard receiving performance as he connected on 90 yards through the air on four catches;
- Junior defensive back JerMichael White recorded a team-high 12 tackles which set a new career-high … His previous high was just three tackles which he achieved twice including most recently against Hawai’i;
- Western Carolina’s defense recorded an interception for the third-straight game this season as Marvin Tillman tallied his second pick of the year … WCU has
- Redshirt junior punter Ian Berryman had a long punt of 54 yards and a 38.0 average yard punting on four attempts.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday evening's game were: senior RB #21 Detrez Newsome, redshirt senior LB #58 Daniel Riddle and redshirt senior OL #68 Tanner Poindexter ... Gardner-Webb won the coin toss and deferred to the second half … WCU received the kick off to open the game;