Western Carolina 63, Davidson 17
E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field
Cullowhee, N.C. - Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017
With the win ...
- The Catamounts remain perfect with a third-straight series victory over Davidson head-to-head all-time;
- It marks the fourth-straight season with a victory in the Western Carolina home-opener and back-to-back victories over FCS opponents to open the home slate ... WCU defeated Gardner-Webb at home last year in its opener;
- Halted a three-game winless skid for Western Carolina dating back to last season … WCU’s last victory prior to Saturday came at over VMI (Nov. 5, 2016 – W, 32-29);
- Head coach Mark Speir earned his 20th victory at WCU to make him the seventh different Catamount football head coach to win 20-or-more games at the school.
- Several offensive team and individual records were set Saturday night: Western Carolina scored 49 points in the first half, breaking the team scoring record of 43 in a half set in 2004 against West Virginia State ... WCU scored 63 points, the most under six-year head coach Mark Speir … the Catamounts tallied a school-record 778 yards of total offense including 483 yards on the ground and 295 yards passing, eclipsing the 48-year old previous record of 711 that came against Emory and Henry back in 1969;
- Senior RB Detrez Newsome finished with a career-best – and school single-game record – 288 rushing yards … He surpassed his own single-game rushing record at Western Carolina which he previously set with 277 yards against Chattanooga in 2016 ... Newsome scored a career-high three rushing touchdowns – his previous best had been two rushing TDs eight different times;
- With three rushing TDs, Newsome now has 31 career scores on the ground, third in school history … When combined with his seven receiving scores and two on kickoff returns, Newsome became WCU’s all-time leader with 40 career touchdowns, by-passing Darrell Lipford (35 rushing, 3 receiving = 38 career TDs);
- Newsome’s 15 rushes on Saturday give him 471 in his WCU career … He leapt past three players on WCU’s career charts into ninth all-time … He by-passed Troy Mitchell (468, 2012-15), Fred Boateng (460, 2000-02), and Darius Fudge (457, 2003-06);
- Newsome now has 2,943 career rushing yards, the fourth-most in school history … He is just 57 yards shy of becoming just the third Catamount running back to eclipse the 3,000 career yard mark;
- Redshirt sophomore QB Tyrie Adams tied a career high with five passing touchdowns, matching a school single-game record for a second-consecutive season … Adams also threw five TD passes last year in the home win over Gardner-Webb … Four of Adams’ touchdown completions came in the first half, matching a school record for the second-straight year;
- Redshirt seniors WR Terryon Robinson and WR Steffon Hill both had more than 100 yards receiving in the same game … Robinson had 144 yards on three catches and two touchdowns while Hill had 102 yards on four catches and a pair of scores ... It was the first time two Catamount receivers had 100 receiving yards in the same game since Oct. 15, 2016 at Mercer (Terryon Robinson, 8 catches for 106 yds and Spearman Robinson had 5 for 131 yds);
- Robinson has 180 career receptions to remain fifth in school history, just three shy of fourth-place Michael Banks (1999-2002) … Robinson has 2,158 career receiving yards to remain just outside WCU’s all-time top 11 – just 88 yards shy of 11th-place Wayne Tolleson (2,246 – 1974-77) … He has 12 career receiving touchdowns, just three shy of a six-way tie for ninth at 15 career TD receptions;
- For a second-consecutive week, redshirt junior RB Corey Holloway rushed for a career-high, finishing with 119 yards on 16 carries … It marked the first time WCU teammates rushed for 100 yards in the same game since Nov. 15, 2014 vs. VMI (Darius Ramsey (128 yds) and Troy Mitchell (109 yds);
- WCU sophomore DB Shamon Elliott had two first quarter interceptions to end Davidson drives … It is the second-straight week that Western Carolina recorded two picks … The two interceptions were the first in Elliott’s career.
- Senior LB A.J. Newman was credited with a game and career high 10 tackles … Newman had a previous career-best of nine tackles in a game three times prior;
- Redshirt junior punter Ian Berryman had a long punt of 61 yards and a 46.5 average yard punting on four attempts … Berryman posted the third kick of 60-or-more yards and has 36 career punts of 50+ yards … Also on special teams, freshman K Will Horton made his collegiate debut, connecting on all nine PAT attempts and kicking off 10 times with three touchbacks.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday evening's game were: senior RB #21 Detrez Newsome, redshirt senior LB #58 Daniel Riddle, redshirt senior OL #68 Tanner Poindexter, senior DB #35 Keion Crossen, and redshirt junior punter #83 Ian Berryman ... Davidson won the coin toss and deferred to the second half … WCU kicked off to open the game;
- Western Carolina 2017 signee Cameron Brown of Tallahassee, Fla., was on-campus Saturday afternoon, participating in the pregame Cat Walk and led the team out of the pregame locker room on a golf cart adorned with the squad’s “All You Got” flag … Brown is battling osteosarcoma, an aggressive form of bone cancer which resulted in him losing his left leg;
- Retired US Army Staff Sgt. Adam Palmer led the WCU football team on the field while carrying the American flag ... WCU head coach Mark Speir worked with a group of veterans in “Operation Heal Our Patriots” through Samaritan’s Purse this offseason in Alaska, and it sparked the idea to have a veteran from the program carry the flag onto the field before WCU home games this season.