South Carolina 44, Western Carolina 31
Columbia, S.C. - Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016
With the Loss ...
- Western Carolina finished the 2016 season with a 2-9 overall record including a two-game slide to end the year ... WCU finished the year 0-6 away from home;
- The Catamounts dropped their fifth-straight in the all-time series against South Carolina, remaining winless in the five all-time meetings;
- It extended Western Carolina's current losing skid against teams from the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) to 52-straight (0-52) while also stretching the skid against teams from the SEC to 0-19.
- Needing just 84 yards on the ground to eclipse the 1,000-yard rushing plateau, junior RB Detrez Newsome ran for a team-high 115 yards and a touchdown at South Carolina ... He finished his third season for the Purple & Gold with 1,055 yards to give him back-to-back, 1,000-yard seasons ... Newsome is just the third back at WCU since 1967 to record consecutive 1,000-yard seasons joining Darrell Lipford (1,074 yds in 1976 and 1,318 yds in 1977) and Brad Hoover (1,663 yds in 1998 and 1,025 yds in 1999);
- Newsome's 1,031 seasonal rushing yards ranks as the EIGHTH-best, single-season in program history ... He also holds the fourth-best rushing average from 2015 with 1,109 yards ... He scored his single-season best 10th rushing touchdown vs. the Gamecocks moving him into a tie for 11th in school history, matching David Mayfield (10, 1986);
- Saturday marked the third-time in the past two years that Newsome has rushed for over 100 yards against an opponent from the SEC ... Last year, Newsome tallied 128 at Tennessee and 111 at Texas A&M a season ago ... For Newsome, it was his 11th career, 100-yard rushing game;
- For the second-time this season, Newsome eclipsed the 300 all-purpose yard mark, twice rewriting WCU's single-season record book in 2016 ... He broke his own school benchmark on Saturday at South Carolina, amassing a school-record 365 all-purpose yards ... Newsome has recorded 100+ all-purpose yards in 14-straight games dating back to last season -- and was his 25th 100+ all-purpose yard game;
- Newsome's 240 yards on kickoff returns also set a school -- and Southern Conference -- record, eclipsing the benchmark held by another former Catamount in Mike Malone who had 229 yards of kick returns against Furman back in 2007 ... Newsome tallied his second career kickoff return for a touchdown with his 93-yard run ... It was WCU's first kickoff return for a score since Spearman Robinson raced 49 yards last year against Samford on a would-be on-side kick attempt;
- Newsome finished his junior season ranked FOURTH in school history with 2,628 career rushing yards -- 1,461 yards shy of all-time record holder, Darrell Lipford (4,089 yds, 1974-77) ... His single-season best 10th rushing TD at South Carolina give shim 28 for his career, third all-time and just nine scores shy of the single-season record (Otis McIntosh, 37 from 1968-71);
- Freshman tailback Connell Young posted his first career, two touchdown game on Saturday at South Carolina ... Young doubled his career TD tally, finishing his rookie season with four scores on the ground ... Young additional rushed for a career-best 28 yards on a career-high nine carries;
- Redshirt senior WR Spearman Robinson finished his career with back-to-back 100-yard receiving games, hauling in four passes for 105 yards and nearly scored a receiving TD against the flagship school of his home state of South Carolina ... He finished his career with seven, 100-or-more yard games ... Spearman finishes his WCU career with an even 2,100 receiving yards;
- Held to just one reception on Saturday, redshirt junior WR Terryon Robinson finished the 2016 season fourth on the school's single-season ledgers with 71 receptions;
- Redshirt freshman QB Tyrie Adams finished his rookie season among WCU's single-season leaders for pass completions (4th, 217); fifth in single-season passing yards with 2,568; tied for seventh for single-season passing touchdowns, matching Chad Greene (1994) with 15; and posted the THIRD-BEST total offensive yardage mark in program history, finishing with 2,926 yards including 358 rushing and 2,568 yards passing;
- Adams rushed for a career-best 93 yards including a long scamper of 24 yards for the Catamounts -- one-yard shy of a career-long run;
- Adams was held to single-digit completions (7-for-18) for the first time in his career with just four receivers recording receptions on Saturday;
- Redshirt sophomore DT Zach Green made his first collegiate start at South Carolina on Saturday ... Redshirt freshman WR Brad Swan, Jr., returned to the starting lineup after returning to action a week ago;
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were: senior DB #3 Fred Payne; junior RB #21 Detrez Newsome; redshirt junior linebacker #58 Daniel Riddle; and senior OL #62 Ethan James ... Redshirt senior WR #8 Spearman Robinson carried the American Flag during Saturday's pregame, while senior DB #26 Trey Morgan carried the "All You Got" flag -- both are natives of South Carolina ... South Carolina won the coin toss and elected to receive; WCU kicked off to open the game.