Samford 30, Western Carolina 17
Birmingham, Ala. - Saturday, Oct. 22, 2016
With the Loss ...
- Western Carolina dropped its fifth-straight game of the season, the program's longest winless drought since dropping 13-straight games from 2012-13;
- WCU has dropped seven-straight road games in the series with Samford dating back to 1969;
- It extended Western Carolina's current losing skid against nationally-ranked teams to 26-straight dating back to the 2005 season ... It was also WCU's 42nd-straight road loss against a nationally-ranked FCS team.
- Though he was limited with the lingering arm injury suffered in the Mercer game, junior RB Detrez Newsome rushed seven times for 21 total yards ... Newsome moved into WCU's all-time career top 10 list with 2,069 yards, by-passing both Melvin Dorsey (2,060 yards, 1981-83) and Anthony James (2,060 yards, 1979-82) ... He is just 141 yards shy of ninth-place in program history;
- Newsome finished with 147 all-purpose yards including 90 total yards on four kickoff returns, 36 receiving yards and 21 yards rushing ... Newsome has now eclipsed the 100 all-purpose yard plateau in 10-straight games dating back to last season;
- Finishing tied with Detrez Newsome with a team-best five receptions, redshirt junior WR Terryon Robinson now has 151 career catches to rank ninth in school history, just one reception shy of eighth-place Vince Nowell (152, 1984-87);
- Redshirt freshman WR Jacob Robinson joined Terryon Robinson and Spearman Robinson on the field at one point to give WCU an "All-Robinson" receiving corps ... Jacob recorded his second career reception on a career-long eight-yard grab;
- Senior DB Fred Payne collected WCU's second interception of the season -- and the fourth of his WCU career ... Payne returned his second pick of the year back 42 yards for a touchdown ... It was the first interception returned for a TD by a Catamount since Adam Hearns returned a pick back 22 yards for a score back at Gardner-Webb back in 2010;
- Junior DB Keion Crossen posted his second-consecutive, double-digit tackle outing, finishing Saturday's game with 10 tackles including nine solo stops ... Senior DB Trey Morgan was credited with a career-best three pass break-ups, nearly coming away with interceptions on each one;
- Freshman DB Shamon Elliott made his second-straight start in the WCU secondary, finishing with a career-best 11 tackles including eight solo stops;
- WCU was unofficially credited with seven quarterback hurries and posted a sack in Saturday's loss.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday night's game were: senior DB #3 Fred Payne; junior RB #21 Detrez Newsome; redshirt junior linebacker #58 Daniel Riddle; and senior OL #62 Ethan James ... Redshirt senior OL #71 Matt DeGraffinreed carried the American Flag during Saturday's pregame, while junior DB #35 Keion Crossen carried the "All You Got" flag ... Samford won the coin toss and deferred; WCU received the opening kickoff.