No. 9/10 The Citadel 34, Western Carolina 14
E.J. Whitmire Stadium / Bob Waters Field
Cullowhee, N.C. -- Sat., Oct. 1, 2016
With the Loss ...
- Snapped the Catamounts' seven-game home winning streak marking the first home loss for Western Carolina dating back to Nov. 1, 2014 against then 12th-ranked Chattanooga;
- Marks the second-straight loss to The Citadel Bulldogs in the all-time head-to-head series -- and the fifth in the last six series meetings dating back to 2011;
- The loss was WCU's 24th-consecutive against a nationally-ranked FCS opponent ... WCU has not defeated a FCS team in the national Top 25 since 2006 -- a 20-17 home win over then No. 19 Eastern Kentucky ... WCU has not defeated a nationally-ranked Southern Conference team since 2005.
- Junior running back Detrez Newsome scampered for a game-high 65-yard rushing touchdown in the fourth quarter against The Citadel marking his 23rd career rushing score ... With 23 career rushing TDs ties Newsome with two all-time greats and Catamount Athletics Hall of Fame members in Brad Hoover (23, 1996-99) and Tom Broadwater (23, 1958-60);
- Newsome has tallied rushing touchdowns in five-straight games dating back to last season;
- Newsome narrowly missed marking his second 100-yard rushing performance of the season carrying the ball nine times for 94 yards ... Newsome also had five kick returns for 157 yards and a long of 50 yards, finishing the game with a career-high 259 all-purpose yards;
- Newsome has surpassed the 200-yard, all-purpose yard mark a combined six times during his Catamount career ... He has posted seven-straight, 100+ all-purpose yard outings dating back to last season;
- Following Saturday night's game, Newsome has amassed 1,921 career rushing yards, just 79 shy of 2,000 for his Catamount career and a combined 139 yards shy of WCU's all-time career top 10;
- Western Carolina played two quarterbacks in the game with Tyrie Adams and Wes Holcombe with both quarterbacks being involved in each of the Catamount touchdowns ... Adams scored the first touchdown of the game for WCU on a seven-yard rush for his first collegiate rushing score ... Holcombe orchestrated the other scoring drive, delivering the ball to Newsome in the backfield to start his 65-yard TD run;
- Senior linebacker Tyson Dickson recorded a career-high 17 tackles against The Citadel ... Teammate Fred Payne added 14 tackles one tackle shy of tying his career-high of 15 ... Senior defensive end Avery Worsham -- who started the game at a linebacker position -- also had a career performance with 11 tackles.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were: senior DB #3 Fred Payne; junior RB #21 Detrez Newsome; redshirt junior linebacker #58 Daniel Riddle; and senior OL #62 Ethan James ... Redshirt sophomore RB #7 Corey Holloway carried the American Flag and senior DE #57 Avery Worsham carried the "All You Got" flag during pregame ... The Citadel won the coin toss and elected to receive.