Western Carolina 24, Wofford 17
Spartanburg, S.C. -- Saturday, Oct. 17, 2015
With the Win ...
-The Catamounts move to 4-2 on the season and 2-1 in Southern Conference play ... WCU moved into sole possession of third place in the league standings behind 3-0 Chattanooga and The Citadel and half a game ahead of fourth-place, Furman, which was idle;
-Western Carolina halts an eight-game slide against Wofford for the second-straight season ... Last year, WCU snapped a string of eight-straight series defeats with the win in Cullowhee ... the win this year in Spartanburg snaps an eight-game slide in road meetings for WCU at Wofford ... It also represents WCU's first win in Spartanburg since 1981;
- WCU also snapped Wofford's seven-game home winning streak;
- Gives the Catamounts a three-game seasonal winning streak, its longest of 2015 and its third over the past two seasons;
- WCU scored its first road victory of the 2015 season.
- Troy Mitchell's first passing touchdown on Saturday moved him into sole possession of second place in Western Carolina's record books for career TD passes, breaking the tie with former QB Don Dalton (1966-69) ... Mitchell finished with two passing scores at Wofford to give him 41 in his four-year career ... Mitchell is now just two touchdowns away from matching WCU's all-time leader, Mike Pusey (43 passing TDs from 1977-79) for the all-time mark;
- With 245 yards of total offense in Saturday's road win at Wofford, Troy Mitchell now has 7,894 career yards of total offense (1,840 rushing; 6,054 passing) ... Mitchell moved into sixth place in the Southern Conference record books, by-passing former ETSU QB Greg Ryan (7,703 yds, 1993-96);
- Mitchell opened Saturday's game by completing eight-consecutive passes ... He ended up with 21 completions -- the second-highest of the season for the senior -- coming on 27 attempts with one interception and two touchdown passes;
- Redshirt senior WR Karnorris Benson hauled in his 20th career touchdown reception to move into a tie for third all-time in WCU history for career touchdown receptions ... Benson is tied with Wayne Tolleson (20, 1974-77) ... Benson is just two TD catches shy of second place Eric Rasheed (22, 1981-84) and six shy of all-time leader, Gerald Harp (26, 1977-80);
- Western Carolina's defensive shutout streak ended with 12:38 left in the third quarter as Wofford converted a turnover into a field goal ... the Catamounts had played 72:38 of shutout football prior to the Terrier's 47-yard field goal;
- Wofford's first, fourth quarter touchdown snapped a string of five-consecutive quarters without allowing an opponent into the end zone for the WCU defense ... the streak included the third and fourth quarters of the win over Mercer, as well as the first three frames Saturday against Wofford;
- The Catamount defense forced five Wofford turnovers in the game including four in the first half ... the offense converted three of those first half turnovers into 17 points for the 17-0 lead at intermission;
- WCU's five takeaways on Saturday were the most for the Catamounts since recording six (five INTs, one fumble) in a 28-14 road win at Gardner-Webb back in the 2010 season -- (Torez Jones had four interceptions ... Adam Hearns had the fifth pick, returning it 22 yards for a TD ... and Mitchell Bell returned a fumble 45 yards for a score);
- Sophomore Detrez Newsome scored a touchdown for the sixth-straight game with a 24 yard reception late in the third quarter ... Newsome was held to a season-low 97 all-purpose yards ... It was the first time this season that Newsome failed to eclipse the century mark in all-purpose yards;
- Redshirt sophomore linebacker Daniel Riddle led the Catamounts in tackles for the third-straight game with 13 stops including 10 solo tackles ... It is his sixth career double-digit tackle performance ... Junior Tyson Dickson also reached double-figures with 10 tackles including a career-best five TFLs ... It was his seventh career double-digit tackle effort;
- After stat revisions on Monday following the WCU-Wofford game, Dickson was credited with 5.0 tackles for loss, matching a WCU single-game record ... Dickson is the SIXTH Catamount to record five TFL's in a game - the first since Michale Spicer back in 2002;
- Western Carolina tallied two interceptions in the win over the mostly run-oriented Wofford offense ... Senior DB Jaleel Lorquet recorded his fourth career interception and his second of the season ... Sophomore DB Keion Crossen intercepted his second career pass against the Terriers ... His first career interception came earlier this season against Mars Hill;
- Senior DE Caleb Hawkins picked up his fourth career forced fumble and second career fumble recovery Saturday afternoon in Spartanburg ... Junior DE Daniel Nash was credited with his first career forced fumble as well against Wofford;
- WCU snapped an 0-13 drought when wearing the white jerseys over purple pants under head coach Mark Speir ... It was WCU's first time wearing that uniform combination since the Alabama game at the end of the 2014 season.
- Western Carolina's team captains for Saturday afternoon's game were junior DB #3 Fred Payne; senior DB #4 Sertonuse Harris; senior QB #10 Troy Mitchell; redshirt sophomore LB #58 Daniel Riddle; and redshirt senior OL #61 Jake Thornton ... Western Carolina won the coin toss and chose to defer to the second half ... Wofford received the opening kickoff;