Score: UNCG 2, Western Carolina 0
Records: Western Carolina 5-7-2, 2-4 SoCon, UNCG 11-2-1, 6-0 SoCon
Location: Catamount Athletic Complex, Cullowhee, N.C.
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s soccer dropped a closely contested match with UNCG 2-0 Friday at the Catamount Athletic Complex.
- Ten minutes into the game UNCG took a 1-0 lead and scored an insurance goal late in the second half.
- Western Carolina senior Megan McCallister took five of Western Carolina’s five shots in the game.
- Although Natalia Icen gave up two goals in the contest she also had a season-high eight saves in the game – just three
shyof tying her career-high of 11.
Inside the Box Score
- UNCG scored the first goal of the game at the 9:44 mark when QuiQui Hita took a pass from Cienna Rideout and dribbled to the goal sending it to the left of the Catamount goalkeeper Icen and into the back of the net.
- The Spartans scored an insurance goal when Carolina Fiorella sent a shot toward the goal that pinged off the crossbar and into the goal.
- The Catamounts had quality looks at the goal in the second half but the strongest scoring chance came from McCallister when she took a shot about three yards from the goal and it went right into the hands of the Spartan goalkeeper.
- The shots were close between the two teams as UNCG had 13 and Western Carolina had 11.
News & Notes
- Western Carolina is now suffering through a three-game losing streak.
- The two goals scored by UNCG is the most by a Catamount opponent at the Catamount Athletic Complex this season.
- Despite the loss, Western Carolina is still holding opponents to low scores at home as the Catamounts have given up six goals at home in nine games with a record of 5-2-2.
Western Carolina hosts VMI in the Catamounts final home match of the season. The SoCon contest is set to begin at 1 p.m. Seven Catamount seniors will be honored prior to the game: Shannon Burns, Alexa Frankeny, Eynde Frazier, Jacquelyn Gnassi, Megan McCallister, Sayres McKenna, and Kayla Thomas.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.