Score: ETSU 1, Western Carolina 0
Records: Western Carolina 5-4-2, 2-1SoCon, ETSU 4-7, 3-0 SoCon
Location: Catamount Athletic Complex
CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Western Carolina women’s soccer fell to ETSU 1-0 Friday in at the Catamount Athletic Complex in the Catamounts’ first SoCon loss of the season.
At the 14th minute, ETSU scored an opportunistic goal and fended off the Catamounts the rest of the game.
- ETSU’s Sarah Connelly scored the only goal of the game. It was also her sixth goal of the season.
- Regan Ward took four shots for the Catamounts.
Inside the Box Score
- At the 14th minute, Connolly found herself in the right place at the right time. A Buccaneer player took a shot that bounced off the crossbar. The ball bounced back into play and landed just in front of the goal on the right side. Connolly was there and all she had to do was tap it in while Catamount goalkeeper Jacquelyn Gnassi was pulled to the right from the previous shot.
- The Catamounts biggest threat of the night came at the 67th minute when senior Megan McCallister’s powerful shot just pinged off the top of the crossbar and went over instead of in.
- Western Carolina outshot ETSU 12 to 10 with eight of their shots coming in the second half.
News & Notes
- The loss against ETSU is the first home loss of the season for Western Carolina.
- ETSU’s shutout of Western Carolina is the fourth time WCU has been shutout this season.
- Even with ETSU’s win over Western Carolina and the goal scored, the Catamounts have still only allowed four goals scored against them at home in eight games and 730.25 minutes played.
- The Catamount loss drops the team into a tie for second place in the SoCon race.
- Western Carolina will not have a game on Sunday and will enjoy six days off prior to the Catamounts’ match at Chattanooga on Oct. 5.
Western Carolina will travel to Chattanooga on Friday for a 7 p.m. match. The contest can be seen on ESPN+.
For the latest information on Catamount women's soccer, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.