May 9, 2018
Score: No. 2 seed Mercer 8, No. 7 seed Western Carolina 7
Records: Western Carolina 15-36, Mercer 33-17
Location: Greensboro, N.C. (UNCG Softball Stadium)
GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Number seven seed Western Carolina softball dropped a heart-breaker to No. 2 seed Mercer, watching the Bears score seven runs over the final two innings of the game, to fall 8-7 in the opening game of the 2018 Southern Conference Championships Wednesday at the UNCG Softball Stadium.
Mercer scored seven runs in the final two innings of the game to overcome the deficit, including five runs in the bottom of the sixth, to come behind for the win.
How it Happened
- Western Carolina jumped out to an early 2-0 lead with one swing of the bat as Abigail Daniels hit a two-run homerun to centerfield in the top of the second after Hunter Gibbons hit a lead-off single to start the inning.
- In the bottom of the second Mercer cut the Catamounts' lead in half scoring a run to trail WCU 2-1. - Western Carolina had a monster fourth inning plating four runs. Daniels picked up her second hit of the game to lead off the inning. After a sacrifice bunt moved Daniels to second Erica Hayes hit a two-out RBI double to right centerfield scoring Daniels. Ashlyn Long followed with a single down the left side and Hayes scored off a Mercer error. Shaina Reed's two-run homerun pushed the WCU lead to 6-1.
- Mercer began clawing back into the game with two runs in the top of the fifth.
- The Catamounts added a run in the top of the sixth when pinch-hitter Cheyenne Mathews singled and Hayes notched her second RBI of the game when Danielle Chapman scored after she returned to the game for Mathews.
- Mercer had a huge bottom of the sixth scoring five runs to take its first lead of the game and hold onto that lead for the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Western Carolina saw three pitchers make an appearance in the game. Sophomore Kinsey Liscio got the start and no-decision going four innings allowing three runs on five hits and struck out four.
- Liscio was replaced by Haley Brogden with no outs in the fifth and tossed 1.1 innings allowing fifth runs on five hits. She takes the loss and falls to 5-9 on the season.
- Kayla Brewer closed out the game going 0.2 innings and allowed one hit.
- Hayes and Daniels each went 2-for-4 in the game.
- Western Carolina hit two homeruns in the game ended the contest with nine hits. Mercer had 11 hits. - Each team committed one error.
- The Catamounts got three outs at the plate against Mercer including two in the bottom of the sixth.
News & Notes
- Daniels has hit both of her homeruns this season against Mercer.
- Western Carolina's 44 homeruns this season ranks tied for third in the WCU record books for homeruns in a season.
- The seven runs scored by Western Carolina in the opening round of the SoCon Championships, against Mercer, is the most runs the Catamounts have scored in program history in a tournament game.
- Reed has reached base safely in the last five games.
Western Carolina will play No. 3 seed Furman at 10 a.m. Thursday in the elimination game of the SoCon Championships.
For the latest information on Catamount softball, follow @catamounts on Twitter or go to www.catamountsports.com.